The County Waste and Recycling News section offers useful information about recycling and proper waste disposal.
We will also keep you up-to-date on our community involvement.
Recycling Metal Food Cans
August 23, 2018
Metal cans are an efficient and practical way to store food in your home and, as an added benefit, metal cans are 100 percent recyclable.
County Waste & Recycling in Clifton Park recycles metal cans as part of a robust recycling program and asks that consumers remove excess food debris and rinse metal can before placing them in the single stream recycling bin. Cans don’t need to be scrubbed, simply spatula out any remaining food and rinse the empty can in dish water before placing it in the recycling bin.
Rinsing cans prior to recycling helps keep the recycling facilities clean and sanitary and keeps the recycling process efficient and effective.
There are many benefits to recycling metal cans. According to the Can Manufacturers Institute, metal cans are not only 100 percent recyclable, but they can be recycled multiple times without losing strength or quality.
The Can Manufacturers Institute also points out:
- Steel food cans are the most recycled package in America today, with a recycling rate that is more than 2.5 times higher than that of most other packaging options.
- Every ton of recycled steel saves 2,500 pounds of iron ore, 1,000 pounds of coal and 40 pounds of limestone.
- Canned produce goes from field to package within 4 ½ hours, whereas fresh produce takes 24 days from field to store.
- Shipping and storing canned fruits and vegetables, requires a less energy-intensive cold chain distribution system than fresh and frozen.
- The overall canning process saves energy, reduces food waste and helps seal in nutrients.
Canned food results in less food waste as well as production efficiencies making metal cans an environmentally-friendly packaging option. Keeping metal cans in the recycling chain makes good sense.
Other recyclables allowed in the single stream carts at County Waste & Recycling in Clifton Park include:
- All Plastic Bottles & Containers (#1-7) with Caps & Lids ATTACHED
- All Office and School Paper
- Cans, aluminum
- Corrugated Cardboard & Paper Bags
- Empty Aerosol Cans (No Caps)
- File Folders
- Glass Bottles & Jars
- Magazines, Brochures & Catalogs
- Newspapers & Inserts (No Plastic Bags)
- Opened Mail, Junk Mail, and Greeting Cards
- Paper-back Books
- Paperboard Boxes
- Paper Egg Cartons
- Paper Milk/Juice Cartons (No Foil Pouches)
- Phone Books
- Prescription drug bottles (empty)
The Clifton Park, NY location of County Waste and Recycling ranks among the Capital Region’s largest waste and recycling companies. County Waste and Recycling provides residential garbage and recycling services, commercial roll off service, industrial waste removal, and construction and demolition waste collection services. In addition to waste collection services, County Waste also operates transfer stations in Clifton Park and Troy, New York and Sierra Processing, a recycling center, in Albany, New York.
Last Modified: 08-23-2018-12:26:46