The County Waste and Recycling News section offers useful information about proper waste disposal, service updates, and
our commitment to the communities we live in and serve.
Winter Safety Reminder for Residential Customers
September 22, 2016Winter residential trash and recycling collection creates a unique set of challenges for sanitation truck drivers - routes can be obstructed by snow, vehicles may be blocking roadways and driving conditions may be poor or, even worse, treacherous.
County Waste’s truck drivers are well trained professionals and take special precautions in the winter months to safely share the roadways. With the public’s help, we can have a safe and uneventful winter on the roadways this year.
Here are some reminders for our customers as we get ready for the winter season:
- When sharing the road with a garbage truck, don’t treat it like any other vehicle - take special precautions around collection vehicles – they’re big, stop frequently, and may have blind spots.
- A garbage truck weighs between 20 and 32 tons and takes about twice as long to come to a stop as compared to the average family vehicle so don’t quickly change lanes in front of a truck as you might with another car.
- Slow down around garbage trucks and use extra caution. An extra minute or two safely navigating around a truck could prevent an accident or injury.
- Winter roads make turning and stopping more difficult so allow adequate cushion between your vehicle and a garbage truck so, if necessary, you and the truck driver have time to react.
Parents, please share these safety reminders with your children:
- Large vehicles have blind spots – children should never assume a driver can see them. Stay a safe distance away from a garbage truck at all times.
- Don’t play on or around garbage trucks. Trucks are interesting but they have a lot of moving parts that children need to keep a distance from.
- Listen for beeping – beeping means the truck is reversing and you need to be clear.
- Garbage trucks stop frequently. Children should never follow a truck on a bike or any other vehicle for any reason.
- In the winter, never build snow huts or play in the snow near garbage trucks or near collection containers.
Winter collection reminders:
- Ashes, hot or cold, are not allowed in any County Waste container.
- Please shovel snow as necessary so our drivers can safely and efficiently collect your trash and recycling at your residence in the city or rural location.
County Waste is committed to the safety of our community and customers. This winter, let’s all enjoy the great snow and outdoor fun and stay safe on the roads and along the collection routes.
Last Modified: 01-26-2018-08:06:40