4th of July: We will be running all routes on schedule with no delay.
County Waste Recycling Services
County Waste and Recycling provides residential and business recycling collection services and operates the Region's only Materials Recovery Facility, Sierra Processing, in Albany. The County Waste Transfer Stations also accept Single Stream Recycling materials.
All of us benefit when we collect and process recyclable materials for manufacturers to reuse because it saves energy and resources, as well as diverts materials from area landfills.
Residential Recycling Service
New County Waste & Recycling residential customers receive a 35, 65 or 95-gallon recycling cart with a green lid. The cart provides a safe and secure place to place acceptable recycling materials between pickup dates and the large wheels make it easy to roll carts to and from the end of the driveway.
|CART SIZES - GREEN LID
||35, 65 or 95 Gallon Carts|
|Service Area||Service Area Map|
Residential Recycling Carts
35 Gallon Recycling Cart
65 Gallon Recycling Cart
95 Gallon Recycling Cart
County Waste and Recycling strives to assure the complete safety of our customers, our employees and the public in all our operations.
5 Steps to Safe & Efficient Collection
- Place only acceptable recycling materials in the cart and do not overfill.
- Do not bag recycling materials AND close the lid to prevent littering.
- Place the carts at the end of your driveway the night before your collection day.
- Space carts for safe and efficient collection. (see diagram)
- After cart is emptied, remove from driveway.
When you and your neighbors place carts a safe distance from other carts and objects, it allows the auto side load trucks to safely and promptly empty the carts.
Why Cart Spacing Matters
- The 18’ height spacing is needed to reduce overhead hazards like powerlines and trees.
- The 3’ cart spacing is needed to accommodate the auto load system.
- The 5’ distance is needed to safely empty the cart near trees, cars, mailboxes, etc.
When each household consistently follows the 5 Steps to Safe & Efficient Collection everyone benefits with safe, timely service and cleaner neighborhoods.
In a Single Stream Recycling (SSR), also known as a commingled system, the items are not placed in plastic bags. In fact, plastic bags are very dangerous because they clog equipment.
The major types of recyclable materials accepted are:
Acceptable Recycling Materials – Glass
Please rinse out bottles and jars. Place broken glass containers in the trash.
- Beverage bottles (no lids) clear, brown, green glass
- Food jars (no lids)
Acceptable Recycling Materials – Metal
Please empty aerosol cans, and rinse out metal food and beverage cans.
- Aerosol cans, 100% empty, no lid
- Aluminum beverage cans
- Steel or tin beverage and food cans
Acceptable Recycling Materials – Paper
Only place dry, unsoiled paper products in the recycling container.
- No plastic bags
- Paper may be placed in paper bags
- Flatten all corrugated cardboard and paperboard boxes
- Remove any non-paper packing material
Acceptable Paper Materials
- Cardboard, flattened and cut to fit in cart
- Egg cartons, paper
- Junk mail
- Kraft brown paper bags
- Magazines, catalogs
- Newspaper and inserts but no bags
- Paperback books
- Office and school paper
- Beverage boxes
- Cereal boxes
- Pasta boxes
- Clothing boxes
- Tissue boxes
- Telephone Directories, soft cover
Please flatten boxes
Kraft paper bags and cardboard are recyclable when not soiled.
Acceptable Recycling Materials – Plastic
Please empty and rinse out plastic bottles, jugs and tubs.
Screwed on caps are allowed but discard loose lids in the trash. Small, loose items like caps are a hazard at the recycling facility.
- Plastic bottles
- Prescription pill bottles
- Plastic jugs
- Plastic tubs
Our team at County Waste and Recycling is very serious about safety. In fact, Safety is our number one Operating Value.
When unaccepted items are placed in the Single Stream Recycling system, they can:
- Cause fires
- Cause injury to anyone who comes in contact with the materials
- Clog machines which can increase injuries
- Contaminate the entire load
- Reduce value of other recyclables
Materials Not Accepted in Recycling
- Any item not on the acceptable list
- Broken glass
- Bulky rigid plastic
- CDs, DVDs
- Cell phones
- Christmas lights
- Clothes hangers
- Electrical wires
- Extension cords
- Garden hoses
- Glass, broken
- Household Hazardous Waste
- Light bulbs
- Needles, sharps
- Paper, soiled, greasy, or wet
- Pipes, metal, plastic, etc.
- Plastic 6-pack holders
- Plastic bags, film
- Rope, twine, cord
- Scrap metal
- Window glass
- Yard waste